19.7.08

How Unc’ Got His Start in BDSM

I don’t know exactly when I developed an interest in what is now called BDSM, but it was certainly before my teens. When it started to become clear to me was in Boy Scout Summer Camp. Our troop had conducted a paper drive to help fund camp expenses, but in sorting through the paper stock, we set aside some magazines for reading at the camp. Boys being boys, we of course squirreled away the mens magazines. One that was of particular interest to me was an old Argosy mag. Why? Well one of the stories was about a guy rescuing two women being tortured by Cuban revolutionaries – with descriptions of the girls having lit cigars pressing into their naked breasts. Ahh, the fun, the fun!

In subsequent years I had a lot of fantasies, but I didn’t allow myself realizations of them. It wasn’t fun being a horny geek thinking I was doomed to be a closeted crypto-kink. And of course with all the social and moral acceptance of such thoughts (… r-r-r-ight…), it’s no wonder I wasn’t feeling comfortable with those fantasies. Sometimes the ‘urge’ got too much, so I did some ‘commercial experimentation’. It wasn’t all that satisfying, but at least it took off the edge.

I got married and then divorced (no, not because of my BDSM interests). During these “free range” days, a friend of mine suggested going to a Mensa SEX-SIG lecture that was featuring a speaker talking about BDSM. The speaker owned a local BDSM-based commercial (… yep … that kind of ‘commercial’) club. He wasn’t all that impressive (even worse I found out later in my BDSM career), but he did have a cute model that looked pretty good hogtied.

As the lecture was ending, a guy (Don Miesen I found out later) came forward and announced that he had some flyers from the Society of Janus. Now I had heard of this club, and I knew it was a BDSM club, so I was definitely motivated in getting a flyer. Despite some people, a couch, and a table was between me and the flyers, with the drive of someone who’d run down his own grandmother, I managed to get one of the coveted flyers. (Remember, this was before the age of internet, so while I may have known about Janus, I didn’t know how to contact them.)

Having the flyer, I could now send in my application and fee to sign up for an Orientation meeting. While waiting for a reply (that seemed to take forever) I started wondering what I was getting into. Would I be dragged down into a dark basement dungeon by a bunch of gay guys? With an envelope containing an invitation to a Janus Orientation, I was about to find out.

The Orientation was actually held in Don Miesen’s home. Now for a het guy like me, I was impressed with this knowledgeable, cultured gay man with a dry and sophisticated sense of humor. And the others at the Orientation were …well… quite normal. There was pleasant social chit chat together with chips, dips, and sodas. Then the actual Orientation started, and that was held in Don’s basement – it was dark and complete with chains on the ceiling. Oh me! But fear not I soon learned. It was just an explanation about how Janus worked. When it was over, I was now a Janus member.

I soon made some good friends and started attending Janus’ classes. One of the first ones that I attended made a lasting impression on me. Kat Sunlove was doing a demo of her femdom style. Don Miesen volunteered a young woman (who was enamored of Mistress Kat) to be a demo model. Kat had the woman disrobe to her panties before handcuffing her wrists behind her back. The Kat took a Hot Shot cattle prod and started running the tips across the woman’s nude body. Well… when I saw that, I said to myself, “I’ve died and gone to Heaven”. I was certainly hooked, and I knew that I found my lifestyle.

There are numerous side paths to this story arc of my BDSM life, but that’ll be later. ‘Nuff fer now.

Unc’

No comments: